I am an award winning journalist and author with a body of work that is inspiring, at least to me. If that sounds vain, it's not the intention. I work on projects that excite me and are congruent with my internal compass to inspire, educate, and entertain. I feel lucky and grateful to be able to work on creative projects that make me proud.
I look for beauty, always, and as a writer and editor, I look to shine a spotlight on people, places and things that touch my soul.
Here are a few highlights:
- I was one of the interviewers on HBO's "Latino List" featuring Eva Longoria, America Ferrera, Victor Cruz, Gloria Estefan, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court Sonia Sotomayor. Pitbul was one of my favorite interview subjects because he was unscripted and transparent. I mean when he shared that his mom and dad met at a strip club while she was pole dancing, it was refreshingly beautiful. Dale!
- I write for a number of publications and websites including CNN, UNIVISION, LATINA, among others. My Jay-Z and Beyonce column on Cuba went around the world a couple of times. And I was happy about that, the US embargo is ridiculous foreign policy!
- Speaking of LATINA magazine, I was a former editor in chief of the title when it was still a young magazine. I created the Latina advice column, Dolores Dice, and hired its first columnist, the inimitable, Dolores Prida, to dish one of a kind wisdom. One of my favorite covers was of Salma Hayek dressed as a Mexican revolutionary hero.
- While working as an Associate Editor at the New York Post, I interviewed fascinating people including Will Smith, Jennifer Lopez, Benicio del Toro, and many others. Spike Lee was a good one. And so was Tommy Lee Jones. He speaks Spanish with a Texas twang. Who knew? OOH, I edited more than a dozen feature sections including, Tempo, a section I created that covered Latino arts and culture.
- I am a guest lecturer and keynote speaker and have been invited to speak at more than two hundred colleges and universities including Dartmouth, Princeton, Syracuse, Rutgers College (my alma mater), Baylor, CAL-State, and many, many more.
- I won an EMMY for producing "The Cuban Embargo (Embargo Contra Cuba), a half hour ground-breaking special on the U.S. embargo against the island nation while working at Telemundo in New York City. It was the station’s first News and Public Affairs Programming EMMY.
- I began my career as a general assignment reporter at El Diario/La Prensa, New York's largest and oldest Spanish-language newspaper.
- I wrote, "The Latina's Bible," and the newest edition, "The New Latina's Bible: The Modern Day Latina's Guide to Love, Spirituality, Family and La Vida."